Saturday, June 27, 2009

Visit to the XiuShan Countryside

Yesterday morning we had an 8:30 am departure time to go out to a point where three provinces come together.  From what I could gather, it is kind of like our four corners in the US, but much prettier!  Our hotel had a pretty nice breakfast that Connor and I went to in the morning.  Most of the food was food that I might consider for lunch, but not really breakfast.  There were about 7 members of the hotel staff watching what we were going to eat, and then how we were going to eat it.  It made me a little nervous because the first 4 or 5 dishes I opened and then closed and I was worried that I would disappoint the onlookers.  Finally we found some noodles and then some sticky buns that hit the stop.  I also had a fried egg and I think I did a pretty good job eating it with my chopsticks. 

The trip getting to the point of 3 provinces was about a 2-hour car ride and it was an adventure in itself.  Probably about half of the journey was unpaved and we were dodging people, bikes, horses, cows, and even one man sitting in the middle of the road.  About halfway to our destination we stopped at a large farmers market where people were selling all kinds of goods.  I have to admit that Connor was a bit grumpy because the crowds were thick, it was extremely hot and muggy, and the smells were exotic.  He had fun after he bought his fan and a Chinese hat though. 

After walking through the street market, we loaded back up in the van and continued on our journey.  The whole idea of taking this trip was to have good documentation of the area where JiJi is from so she can know her culture as she grows up.  We had to walk a short distance down to where we were going to take a little boat trip.  The best part about getting out of the van was that we no longer heard the incessant horn honking.  In China, the horn is actually used in conjunction with the gas and the brake.  Our driver honked as we approached anything……it just about drove us crazy!  And it isn't just a short little "beep;" it is 7 or 8 solid honks!  While we were in the boat, Connor got to help row us along.  The funny part was that nobody made it clear that he didn't have to row, so after about 15 minutes of hard rowing in the heat I look back and he is a sweaty mess with a red face.  He thought he had to keep rowing as part of the package!  Our guide translated that and everybody got a good laugh…..I'm sure he passed off some sort of Cub Scout requirement with that though.  J

The little village on the other side of the river was charming and this was a place where Chinese tourists come to dress in the native dresses and take pictures.  Andrea bought a few traditional dresses for JiJi and Madam Wu arranged for a lunch for all of us.  Andrea had missed breakfast, so she was really hungry.  Unfortunately, the meal was stewed whole catfish and tofu.  I know my family knows that Andrea's list of seafood is Crab legs, lobster, salmon and then nothing, in that order.  So a bunch of little catfish cooked whole with the heads and tails on didn't do the trick for her! 

We came back to the hotel and Connor and I took a little rest, while Andrea and De went out to take more pictures of finding locations.  They came back later and we all went back over to the orphanage to see JiJi and make sure the air conditioners were installed correctly.  We weren't allowed to go into the rooms where they were installed.  They did take our camera in and take the pictures for us and they look great.  The staff was all very pleased and happy to have the airconditioners in there now.  They were having to arrange the cribs in a fashion that would give some of the kids access to what little breeze would make in in through the window.  We did get to see JiJi again and she was just as happy and content as she was the day before.  Oh, little girl.....you are almost ours and we can't wait to fatten you up! 

We left for dinner after the visit to the orphanage and ate with all the orphanage directors and staff at a beautiful restaurant  in the mountains.  We had really good food and some interesting conversations.  I am going to let Andrea blog about that though!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are being soooo patient. What good sports you are. Connor cracks us up because we have started calling him the Travelocity Gnome--he just keeps popping up all over the world! When I looked at the picture of him rowing with his hat on I had to laugh out loud.

For the benefit of other commentors--I am cut and pasting your comments and emailing them to China. D,A, and C will not be able to view the blog until they get out of China. Keep commenting and I will keep sending them. They love your support (as do we).

Robert Thompson said...

Great reading! I guess I missed something because I don't understand why you just can't take her yet. I love the pictures.

Speaking of fattening her up, Orange Chicken seems to do the trick on me.

KaDee said...

glad you guys are having such an amazing adventure and that you almost have your daughter!

I'm looking forward to the post about the long trip home to NC with a 1yr. old. :) :) JK You'll all do great.

Love to you guys!

Dan and Karen said...

Wow, this blog post is an amazing treasure for us to have for our little Danika (Hua Yan) too! The photos of the countryside are gorgeous.

I was brought to tears when I saw the photo of the air conditioner which also prominitely shows a little blue crib, since I have photos of my precious Danika in that exact same crib! Again, if you are able to bring any small piece of Xiushn back (fabric, rock, postcard, momento) I will happily pay you as well as postage.

Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts for doing this!

Dan, Karen & Danika

Dan and Karen said...

PS,

We totally understand if you aren't able to bring something back from Xiushan.

PS PS - love the rowing the boat photo! :-)

Dan, Karen & Danika

Missy said...

Way to leave a cliffhanger Danny! A sure way to keep us readers coming back for more...

No really, this is so great to read. And it makes us feel like we are right there alongside you.

Hurry and blog again. We're so happy for you and looking forward to the post with JiJi traveling along with you three (and coming home!).

Devin said...

Hey Bud -

I must say you look like a chameleon over there. You almost look like a native! And you are officially the only person in China wearing real Oakley sunglasses.

What an adventure you guys are having - so excited for you to get her. Hang in there - only a couple more days! Hope you enjoy and get home safe.

I don't think I could handle the strange foods. That is the hardest part of another culture.

firegirl said...

Hi am loving reading your blog! We have a Xiushan girl too! we have been home for 9 months. (we were in Karen and Dan's travel group-Hi guys!)Seeing Xiushan and reading about your visit to the orphanage and country side is awesome. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see your daughter in your arms!!!

Michelle, Carlo & Grace

China in our Hearts

We feel so blessed that through this adoption process we have truly seen God work many miracles in order to bring our family together. When people ask us; “Why international adoption?” The answer is easy, “Because our daughter is in China.” -Andrea

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map