Family Time
Today was a great family day, although we did it in stages. This morning, Connor and I let the girls sleep in and we went with the group to a place called Yuntai Garden. It is a beautiful ornamental garden that covered several acres and had an interesting mix of lifesize animated characters, including Disney characters which I'm sure are licensed (please imagine my facetious tone for that last sentence). As Connor has watched KungFu Panda 12 times on the trip, we had to get some pictures. We took our badminton racquets because it is the norm to play badminton wherever there is an open space and we are trying to beat our record of 28 consecutive hits. Spending dedicated time with Connor is really good for him and after the up and down night with Jiji we were ready for a little "guy time." The weather at the garden was really nice, and it isn't so much that it is much hotter than Charlotte, but the humidity makes the sweat run down your face like crazy. I don't think Andrea or Jiji would have lasted very long anyway, so it was good that they opted to sleep in and stay in the AC.
On the way to the rendezvous with the group, we passed a sweet older lady selling live scorpions out of some buckets. We stopped to look at them and she picked up a big one with chop sticks and wanted Connor to hold the chop sticks! Connor's quote was "I just learned how to hold food with chopsticks, I'm not holding a scorpion!" I offered the lady a couple RMB for letting us take pictures, but she refused and was just happy that we were entertained by her little enterprise. Speaking of chopsticks, Connor baited me into losing some cash in a little chopstick competition. We were at a restaurant today and he asked me if I thought he could pick up a peanut with chopsticks using his left hand. I laughed and told him I'd give him 10 RMB if he could do it. To my surprise, he picked up the chopsticks and snatched a peanut out of the bowl with the precision of a surgeon on the first try! What a hoser!
After the garden, we came home to Andrea and Jiji and we all took a family nap. I won't pretend that a mid-day nap isn't a very enticing perk of the adoption trip! Jiji and I woke up about the same time and we spent the next hour playing together. We had lots of fun putting a toothbrush inside a bottle and shaking it and then spinning it on the floor. It really makes me wonder how much I need to spend with Hasbro and Playskool when we get back to the states! She is just adorable when she follows me with those big eyes! I think we share a special bond because I'm the only one who lets her stick her fingers in my mouth; although she gave me a pretty good "fish hook" yesterday so we may start phasing that game out.
After naps we got up and had some quality time in the pool. Connor is passing off swimming requirements and I keep reminding him that this is the best scout camp he could have gone to. The pool is on the 14th floor of the hotel and there are some fun views of the city. Jiji loved being in the water and was kicking her little legs all over the place. She thought it was pretty funny when Mom got in the water too. We watched Connor and Andrea race each other across the pool. I guess I will let Andrea post the results of the race between the two of us as I don't like to write about my own victories. J
















7 comments:
I am betting that Gma Carrie and I will let her put her fingers in our mouths (hands washed, please) if it will make her happy. The pool looks so fun - and Kung Fu Panda, what could be better?! This is great advertising for any perspective parents wanting to adopt! Somebody better hire you guys. We love you and are enjoying your adventures.
Thank you for the news, and the beautiful photographs.
Your daughter has a splendid smile.
In a friendly way
Raphaëlle, Joel, and their daughters Amélie (Xinyu) and Emma (Xiushan)
Still stuck on 28 for you badminton record? Mom and I got 29 yesterday, so you need to rev up. Are you teaching Connor some different strokes in swimming? At what point will you transistion to Lizzie for her name? We are so anxious for you to get her home and checked out with the doctors here.
Keep up the great reports. The pictures are amazing. Hope JiJi sleeps well tonight.
Your trip sounds like it is absolutely wonderful! I love the updates and read every day! I hope you enjoy the rest of your journey!
Karen
Proud Xiushan Mama to Danika Joy!
We received our referral one year ago today!!
We are so excited for guys. Andrea, you look so happy!!!! We miss you all and can't wait to meet Jiji.
Love, The Palmers
Sounds exciting. Congrats! When did Connor grow so much? I swear he's like twice the size I remember him.
Why did you post a picture of a rose and not the scorpions?
That sounds like a perfect day. Pool on the 14th floor is amazing.
Post a Comment